Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Recipe- Mango Catfish Couscous

Despite my new 50s housewife hairdo (photos coming tomorrow, I promise), I abhor all household chores except for one- cooking. I love cooking, and have been on a recent kick to try new recipes, because normally I only make Mexican food, as my friend Phil once observed: "The Dunnes are the only Irish people I know who eat Mexican food every day." Last night, I made Mango Catfish Couscous. I found the recipe in a magazine for diabetics that I swiped from the Diabetes Research Unit on my floor at work. I've become a fan of the Diabetic Cooking magazine because most of the recipes are low sugar (obviously), low-fat, and only call for ingredients that A. I've heard of and B. are available at normal grocery stores. I was planning to switch the catfish for a different type of fish, because I've avoided catfish ever since the Great Catfish Food-Poisoning Incident of 1985, in which my father served the entire family undercooked fried catfish and we all got violently ill, with my mother ending up in the ER due to dehydration. Ah, good times.
Anyways, since then I've avoided the feline fish, and at the store I requested bluefish and they were all out, so I decided to give catfish the old college try. Without further ado, here's the recipe:

1 lb catfish fillet, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
2 small zucchini, cubed
2 small yellow squash, cubed
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
1 cup orange juice
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 cup cooked couscous (I used a box of the instant stuff, which made about 2 cups)

1. Put all of the ingredients except for the couscous in a large pot and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
2. Cook couscous and place 1/4 cup on a plate or shallow bowl. Top with catfish mixture.
It was really good, and easy to make, although all the chopping took a while. It made five servings, with a little leftover couscous because I made the entire box.

No comments: