Sunday, August 06, 2006

Weekend Report

Friday- Chowed down at my new favorite cheap Mexican joint, a tiny little shop called El Triunfo in the South End. I believe that the owners are actual from El Salavdor, due to the presence of pupusas on the menu. After that, I joined my fellow grad students for a Nerds Gone Wild night of celebration, as one of our brethren successfully defended his thesis that afternoon. Such occasions are joyous for two reasons: 1. you feel happy for your friend and 2. Participating in a 5, 6, or dear-God-no 7 year program with no finite ending can get depressing at times, and when someone you know actually finishes, it provides hope that yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and someday, you too may finish. We started out sipping cocktails at the Red Fez and ended up playing drinking games into the wee hours at a friend's apartment. Specifically, I ended the night falling down in the street (because getting drunk, wearing high heels, and falling down is the new black) and passing out the in back of a taxi. Sweet.

Saturday
- Did some shopping (new running shoes!) and went to Mike's 30th birthday party in the Ham. I partied like an eight-year old, stuffing my face with chips and cake and candy and hot dogs, and best of all, Framingham Bakery Pizza. Anyone from the Ham instantly recognizes the square, bready slices, ubiquitous at graduation parties and birthdays, and absolutely delicious. Then I told inappropriate jokes and we all made fun of a certain someone for owning a framed map of Mordor (if you don't know what that is, congratulations, you are not a nerd). I won't name names, but his first initial is M and he just turned 30. Later on, I watched Match Point, a Woody Allen movie that is different from most because it's not set in NYC, not a comedy, and not starring him. It's all about infidelity and murder in upper-class England, kind of like Gosford Park meets Closer, but not as good as either of those films. On thing in the movie's favor is that it stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who some of you may recall as the hot Irish coach in Bend it Like Beckham. Personally, I've never understood the attraction to Colin Farrell. I'd take Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Cillian Murphy over him anyday. I prefer my Irish heartthrobs with prominent cheekbones and good personal hygiene.

Sunday
- Went for a run and laid out just long enough to get a sunburn (approximately 30 minutes). Then, I spent all day in the lab, which, although productive, was kind of a drag. My spirits were lifted when I received a phone call from Aimee D, who moved to San Francisco a year ago. She was in town for a wedding, so we met up for beers at the Publick House (no, not the Pubic House, as Aimee kept calling it) where are friend JR was working. Here's a goofy photo of us holding up Aimee's business card:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: map of Mordor... How the heck else are we going to be able to find it? Admittedly, putting it in a frame is a drawback to the portability, but someday people are going to say, "Good thing we had that map".

eileen said...

Well, if we ever need to use it, we could just give it to our clumsy friend Chunk- I'm sure he'll drop it and break the glass.

Tricia said...

So now you know how to make a framed map of Mordor even geekier: a sign under it that reads, "If map if needed to dispose of a certain ring, please break glass."

I watched Match Point this weekend, too. I thought it was pretty good and one of Woody Allen's better pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wait, who defended their thesis? Junk? Am I out of the loop already? I mean, people, its only been a year!!! How soon I'm forgotten.

eileen said...

Junk! And guess who came to town for it? R. Kelly. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

sigh inded. I always miss the good stuff. Why can't he realize that he loves me already?? =) Wait, can they (and do they) read this blog??

eileen said...

Tina, I don't think any school people (other than Caro) read this blog, but you never know. Maybe R. Kelly will read it, discover your true desires, and you'll live happily ever after.

Kevin said...

We watched Match Point yesterday and found it one of the most contrived movies ever. Overall it was OK, but it was just too much. First off, people in London don't know their neighbors so Scarlett wouldn't know that old lady and that guy going to the corner shop wouldn't check on his neighbor. Plus, Scarlett says her rent is cheap but that apt. is pretty nice for London if it's cheap. Plus the guy fixing the buzzers for 2 straight days?? And finally, complete dorkiness but need to share anyway - the murders take place in Shepherd's Bush in west London (about 5 mins from my apt.) and when Chris gets rid of the old lady's jewellery, he throws it into the river at Blackfriars bridge in the financial district(about 2 mins from my office). And yet, the KEY fact that the story turns on is the fact that some local druggie from Shepherd's Bush has found a ring at Blackfriar's bridge. I can vouch that that story line is completely unfeasible! Anyway, many other contrived parts to that story (especially if you're familiar with London/English society) that just made the overall production pretty weak.

eileen said...

Shepherd's Bush? Dirty!

I also noticed that Scarlett's apartment was way too nice to be considered "cheap," but I guess she was comparing it to the rich people's mansion.