Sunday, October 15, 2006

Weekend Report

Friday- Played soccer, and after the game the Snakes on a Pitch continued our Tour of Boston, our weekly post-game visit to watering holes in different Hub neighborhoods. This week, we hit Lucky's in South Boston. I like Lucky's but hadn't been their in almost a year, so it was nice to find that it hadn't changed. It's always fun going there with people for the first time. The bar has no sign out front and is located in the basement of a huge brick building in the Fort Point Channel area of Boston, which is eerily empty at night. The first time I went to Lucky's, I walked over by myself from South Station with the address written on a scrap of paper. The further I walked, the more skeptical I became....is there really a bar down here? Yes, there is, and it's a fun one. On Friday, the bar was packed, with most patrons in the 25 to 35 age range, posters of Frank Sinatra on the wall, and a live band playing a mixture of Stevie Wonder and Steely Dan. We snagged a big table in the back of the bar side, ate some tasty food, and drank some tasty beers. As I was headed home around midnight, a couple friends of mine called and ended up coming over my apartment to hang out. We ordered pizza, drank more beers, and stayed up late talking about how old we are and how mature we aren't.

Saturday-


Worked all day, went out to Salsa's for dinner (they have a liquor license now and serve margaritas. woohoo!), and then celebrated Nikki's big 20-10 at the Cask N Flagon. The remodeling seems to have increased business at the Cask. In the past, once the Red Sox stopped playing, it was all tumbleweed and crickets in there. Now, even after Fenway Park has emptied for the season, both the bar area and the "club" were full of patrons.
We had a lot of fun- Nikki drew a huge crowd of hometown, college, and work friends, and everyone was in the mood to party it up. Theresa and I even got to play DJ for a little while. I'm not sure if we were the biggest assholes at the bar, or the fun people everyone else wished they were friends with (yes, grammar Nazis, I do know that's a dangling prepositions), but I'll go with the latter.


Sunday-
I spent the day in Framingham for Kim and Mike's baby shower. As far as showers go, baby showers are much more tolerable than bridal showers- at least the presents are cute baby things and not boring dishes. I had a good time and ate like I was the one eating for two, but mmmm, how could I say no to pumpkin dip, homemade macaroni and cheese, and carrot cake cupcakes? I couldn't, that's how. I also enjoyed catching up with the friends who were there. I still haven't fully processed the fact that my best friend, who I've known since I was five, is going to have a baby (a baby! holy cow!), but I'm very excited for them and looking forward to being a pseudo-aunt.

I'll post some pictures later on. The pictures on my camera right now are hilarious. Half are of drunk people dancing at the Cask, and half are of people oohing and aahing over adorable baby outfits.

No comments: