Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Do you know who loves voting? Old people.*

Did you vote today? How did it go? My roommate and I went together around 7:30 and waited for about an hour. Could have been worse, but it also could have been far more efficient. Like, they only had two people doing the check-in, and they were both women over age 80. Nice ladies, but not exactly models of speed and efficiency. There were plenty of empty booths, so they check-in was definitely the rate limiting step of the process. Still, everyone was patient and friendly, and it felt fun and exciting to vote. And since it's a great excuse to be late to work, I stopped and had a coffee and muffin afterwards. I think I got lucky, because I walked by a polling station in the South End, and there were over 500 people waiting in line.

*I like to make old person jokes with my grandmother. For example,
me: Do you know who likes potato salad?
my grandmother: Who?
me: Old people!

She thinks they're funny, I swear.

1 comment:

J.R. said...

same thing at our polls in brookline. two super sweet amazingly slow old ladies doing check in. About 40 empty booths. I had literally the exact same thought... "wow, these ladies are really the 'rate-limiting' step."

We really are nerds.