Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Dok Bua Thai Kitchen

Finally, a post about food that isn't gross! Earlier this week, Caro and I had dinner at Dok Bua in Brookline, near Coolidge Corner. Unfortunately they don't have a real website (grrrrr), so I linked to their Yelp page. Anyways, the restaurant itself is bright and cheery, with a fish tank and a gumball machine- it's definitely the type of place where you'd go to grab a bite with friends and not a venue where you'd linger over a cocktail looking sultry. Because that's what I normally do when I eat Thai food. The menu is essentially a glossy picture book, which non-Thai diners will probably find helpful. Here's Caro modeling our beverage selections, green tea and Thai iced tea.


We ordered an appetizer, but I have no idea what it was named or what it contained. Some sort of crispy dried shrimp, coconut, and peanut mixture on top of a leaf that resembles cabbage, but isn't. I do know that it sure was tasty! Here's a photo; maybe one of you can solve the mystery:










For entrees, I had Stir Fried Eggplant with Chili and Basil and Caro went for the classic, Pad Thai.


Both were delicious! I liked Bok Dua and would definitely go back- the extensive menu listed several dishes I would like to try, although they don't offer my favorite- drunken noodles. Plus, the prices were grad-student friendly. I must give the caveat that I've never met a Thai restaurant that I didn't like, so Bok Dua isn't all that different from Brown Sugar or other Boston Thai places, but with its good food, friendly service, and low prices, it's definitely worth a visit.

No comments: