Wednesday, September 15, 2010

List #44....Secret Australians

Do you remember how Adam Sandler had that Hannukah song about the people in Hollywood who are Jewish? Well, I feel like Australia could do somethig similar. I mean, everyone knows Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman are Aussie, and we all saw Toni Colette in Muriel's Wedding. However, since I moved here, I've been trying to watch some classic Australian films (you know, like Priscilla, Queen of the Desert), and in doing so have realized that many actors I had assumed were American were actually from Australia.

So now I present List #44... Secret Australians
1. Cate Blanchette
2. Guy Pearce
3. Anthony LaPaglia (from Without a Trace)
4. Elle Macpherson
5. Olivia Newton-John
6. Geoffrey Rush
7. Hugo Weaving
8. Ryan Kwanten (better known to True Blood fans as Jason Stackhouse)
9. Not an actor, but Rupert Murdoch is also Australian.

and as for Mel Gibson, turns out he's a Secret American.

4 comments:

Kris said...

I'll give you most of those, but c'mon RT - Olivia Newton-John? She had an Australian accent in Grease! They had to make her character FROM AUSTRALIA to explain it! Did you think she was just doing it for the role? :)

eileen said...

I don't know how I missed the accent- thought she was supposed to be from California or something!

Tina said...

Don't forget Portia de Rossi (aka Amanda Lee Rogers. aka Ellen Degeneres' wife).

eileen said...

Oooh, good one, Tina! I had no idea and I loved her in Arrested Development. I even like her new (science nerd) show, Better off Ted.